AdSense for domains
This is a little late but I thought I’d share it anyway…
From Inside AdSense: Extending AdSense for domains to all publishers:
Many publishers have approached us looking for a way to monetize their domains (why, yes I have), and
today back in December, we’re excited to announce the expansion of AdSense for domains (Yippie!). This product allows publishers to earn revenue through ads placed on undeveloped domains (I’ve got those).
With AdSense for domains, users can find relevant information rather than see empty pages or “page not found” errors. Today we present ads, links, and search results on the pages, and may add other useful information in the future. To ensure positive user experience and the quality of our network, these sites are monitored for policy compliance and prohibited from using text and images designed to confuse users.
So I finally got around to setting this up for one of my idle (not Idol) domains. It was a little tricky becuase you have to point to Google’s DNS (Domain Name Servers) but 1&1 has a limit of 30 characters for CNAME records which is not compatible with AdSense for Domains so I had to first point to a DNS Service Provider (like EveryDNS.net) who then in turn pointed to Google. Weird, but not too difficult.
The results… so far I’ve earned $0.28 which is more than double what I had at earned with Sedo.com and that’s just for the month of February (vs. several months with Sedo). Plus, since I use Google Adsense on my other sites, that revenue will be added to my other earnings and paid out sooner. All-in-all, I think I’ll be setting up other “undeveloped” domains with Google Adsense.